Educational Talk

Monday, March 1, 2010
An educational talk was held at my place yesterday afternoon. It was organized by Universal Studyline. I decided to attend it since I was so bored at home and also to see what's up their sleeve. The talk was way shorter than I anticipated. The supposed-to-be-four-hour-talk was done in less than one hour and another hour was spent for personal discussion with those that attended the talk. Yeah, you can already guess that this talk is utterly pointless. Fortunately, the guy giving the talk prepared a list of loans and a little information about scholarships for us which make this excursion a little fruitful. Well, its not quite useful for me since I knew most of the organizations offering these loans and scholarships but I think it's a great effort. Other than that, what he talked about was all crap.

Disclaimer: What's written below is just my opinion. Don't read it if you don't like it. :)

After attending this talk, I really felt that there are many more effort to be done to make the educational talk to be effective in terms of giving information. I think the person presenting the talk should prepare more information us, the students and also, in most cases, the parents. When I say "more information", I meant their advices and maybe even their own experience regarding the scholarships, loans and also what people expect to face if they take the course that they can share with us so that it will be a more fruitful talk rather than the infos which can be obtained through online means such as the CGPA marks needed to take the course, the entry requirements and so on. I know these informations are basic and should be included in the talks but what is the whole point of having this talk if all that the person ever told us in the talk was only these informations? I already knew that taking medicine require an extremely stupendous result and even students with straight As might not get a place in public universities especially for non-bumis. So, there's no point for them to point it out again and again and reiterate every now and then in their talk as if students went there with zilch knowledge about it. I mean, come on!! Students all over Malaysia are attending the talk after doing some research and know all the minimum requirements for them to take the course and they know very well what they want or interested to do. That's why they attend a talk to get a more detailed infos which cannot or are hard to be obtained through online means, which is real life experience. One more point to note, the atmosphere of talk should be livelier than just sitting there for hours listening to the facts. I find it quite sleepy when I listen to people in the talk saying out whats written on the screen without any additional information with a hypnotizing voice! Maybe the organiser should invite lecturers with a loud and clear voice and also some sense of humour to make us less sleepy. Hahaha. :)

The talk I went yesterday was a total failure. The person did not even made enough preparation and he didn't even have sufficient information and knowledge to give a talk. When me and my friends went for the personal Q & A session, we asked him about the public universities regarding which courses is best studied at which public universities and the person just kept on changing the topic to the oversea universities. He talked as if studying oversea costs a mere trifle. Eventually, we all got annoyed since we all came from medium income family and we do not have the means to go overseas with our parents supporting us financially. It will be a huge burden for our parents to do so. I sincerely hope that in that person's next few talk, he will prepare more information so that the same thing won't happen again to other people but I think my hope will be bleak. After all, the person had already gave the same talk to 2 other places before coming to my place. Another suggestion of mine to whoever hired him for the talk: get him fired for the sake of all students!!

Generally, not all educational talk are useless. There're also some good educational talks being held all over Malaysia together with the education fairs and I really appreciate these talks. Anyway, much efforts are still needed to reach the whole purpose of the talk.

Well, thats all for now. I just wanted to wish everyone a happy belated chinese valentines day or also known as chap goh mei to all chinese couples. Its March now!! Cheers~ :)
Labels: edit post
0 Responses